Academic Decathlon Regional Competition
We are proud to announce that North High’s Athletes of the Brain (a.k.a. Academic Decathletes) represented their school with pride and class at the regional competition this past weekend!
A few notes worthy of bragging:
- The team placed third in the Central Iowa Region (the highest placement at this competition in our memory!)
- The team (once again) far outscored any other DMPS school!
- Sophomore, Camille Gervais, put hours into preparing for the competition and was our highest scoring North student earning over 5,600 points for the team!
- Dillon Rover and Vera Snodgrass contributed excellent leadership and team spirit as they performed in an extremely competitive honors division.
- Senior, Pyo Aung, took home the silver medal in music for his division.
- Newcomer to the team, Emilio Coronel-Shackel, received a bronze medal in science and gold in art in his division.
- Freshman, Delicia Oxenreider, received a bronze in speech and a silver in music in her division.
- Senior, Rose Wallace-Smith, took home 6 medals for being among the top 3 students in her division for specific subjects. She received gold in math and economics, silver in literature, music, and science, and bronze in art!
We are proud of the contributions of each of the team members. This year’s team has proven to be especially loyal and dedicated. We will find out on Monday night if we qualified for the state competition, but feel hopeful based on our ranking at regionals.
Thank you to all of you for your support of the team. We were especially grateful to the Polar Bear Crew who provided us with notes of encouragement before the competition!
Hoping to send more good news soon!
Anna Brown, Academic Decathlon Coach